This Inverness to Skye road trip takes around 3 hours each way to drive. Although this could be done in a day, we recommend the full two or three days to make the most of it. This is a very scenic trip, taking in many popular Highland sights and attractions.
Road trip details: Two or three day route, 113 miles, 6 hours driving time
Stops include: Glen Moriston, Glen Shiel, Loch Duich Viewpoint, Eilean Donan Castle, Sligachan. Portree, Old Man of Storr, Fairy Pools, Dunvegan Castle and Gardens.
4. From Glen Moriston, head east towards Glen Shiel. It is worth stopping at the watershed, the point where when the rivers and burns all run towards a common point, for great views.
5. You’ll soon come to a brown crossed swords sign, marking the site of the Battle of Glen Shiel in 1719, one of the lesser-known Jacobite Risings. You can stop here to view the information panels, which are set into a stone wall at the side of the glen.
6. As you continue along the road, you’ll see the Five Sisters of Kintail mountains on the right, and The Saddle mountain on the left. When you come to the junction, follow the Skye Road over the causeway and through Inverinate. You have now reached the west coast, as you drive along the shores of Loch Duich.
7. Just after Inverinate Service Station, you can go off the main road, following a sign for Loch Duich Viewpoint. This will take you onto an old part of the road and up to the viewpoint for amazing scenery. You will then rejoin the main road and continue on to the village of Dornie.
8. As you reach Dornie, you’ll see Eilean Donan Castle on your right, a 13th century castle, which was reconstructed in the early 20th century. You can stop here for a visit or simply to take in the views.
12. You can head back to Inverness the same way that you came, allowing around three hours driving time.
We hope you enjoy this Inverness to Skye road trip. Find more road trip ideas here.