This Loch Ness and Glencoe road trip takes one day to complete, with about 2 and a half hours of driving time. Starting in Inverness, it follows Loch Ness, through Glencoe and on to Fort William. With spectacular scenery and lots of opportunities to stop off along the way.
Road trip details: One-day route, 85 miles each way, 2.5 hours driving time
Stops include: Loch Ness, Urquhart Castle, Fort Augustus, the Caledonian Canal, Loch Oich, Commando Memorial, Well of the Seven Heads, Old Inverlochy Castle, Loch Leven, Glencoe.
3. Next follow the A82 to Fort William. You will pass Loch Oich and the Well of the Seven Heads. Stop here to visit the monument and store, and learn the gory story behind its name.
4. Cross another swing bridge over the Caledonian Canal. Then drive along the south side of Loch Lochy. If the weather is good, the lochside is a great place for paddling and skipping stones.
5. After Loch Lochy, pass the Commando Memorial, then drive through Spean Bridge. There is a Woollen Mill and Café here if you’re looking for a stop.
6. Look out for a sign for Old Inverlochy Castle as you arrive into Fort William, after the Road to the Isles roundabout. This castle ruin is site of the first and second battles of Inverlochy and is free to visit.
11. Now go back towards Fort William via Ballachulish. Before reaching the bridge, look out for a huge former slate quarry on your left.
12. Enjoy some time in Fort William. This pretty Scottish town has plenty of great attractions, activities, stunning scenery and places to eat.
13. (option 1). Leaving Fort William, return home by the same route to Fort Augustus. (option 2) Alternatively, take the Road to the Isles and turn right at Neptune’s Staircase of lochs on the Caledonian Canal. Follow the back road to Gairlochy and the Commando Memorial.
14. From Fort Augustus, return back to Inverness along the banks of Loch Ness. If you drove along the north side on the way out, drive back via the south side .. and vice versa.
We hope you enjoy this Loch Ness and Glencoe road trip. Find more road trip ideas here.