This Loch Ness Circuit road trip takes one or two days to complete, starting and finishing in Inverness. Making a full loop around the whole of Loch Ness, we recommend the full two days to make the most of all there is to see and do. Don’t forget to keep an eye out for Nessie!
Road trip details: One to two-day route, 67 miles
Stops include: Jacobite Cruises, Loch Ness Centre & Exhibition, Nessieland, Urquhart Castle, Fort Augustus, Caledonian Canal, Falls of Foyers, Boleskine Graveyard, Dores beach.
4. As you leave Drumnadrochit, you’ll pass Urquhart Castle. These ancient castle ruins date from the 13th century and are well worth a visit.
5. Next you’ll come to a small village called Invermoriston, where you can take a short walk to Invermoriston Falls and the historic Invermoriston Old Bridge, engineered by Thomas Telford.
6. Continue along the road to Fort Augustus, at the southern end of Loch Ness. This vibrant village on the Caledonian Canal is a must-see. With gift shops and plenty of places to eat and relax. You can walk along the canal and watch the boats pass through the locks. Take a walk along the waterfront for views of Fort Augustus Abbey. Or, enjoy a boat trip from Cruise Loch Ness. Book in advance to avoid disappointment.
9. Heading on from Foyers, you will pass the historic Boleskine Graveyard and the remains of Boleskine House, which was once owned by Victorian occultist Aleister Crowley and also rock star Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin.
10. Our final stop is Dores, great for beach walks and food at Dores Inn. This is also where the famous Nessie Hunter, Steve Feltham, can often be found.
11. Continue heading north from here, back to Inverness and your Loch Ness circuit is complete!
We hope you enjoy this Loch Ness Circuit road trip. Find more road trip ideas here.