Fort George is an 18th century fortress near Ardersier, to the north-east of Inverness. Built in the aftermath of the Battle of Culloden, which ended the Jacobite Rising of 1745. A battle in which the Jacobite army had attempted to overthrow King George II and restore the House of Stuart to the British throne. However, the British army defeated the Jacobites in this deadly battle and then introduced a series of harsh measures to supress any further rebellions. The construction of Fort George, a mighty fortress jutting into the Moray Firth, was one such measure, named after George II.
Later, the British Army used it as a recruiting base and training camp. Then it became the depot of the Seaforth Highlanders, an infantry regiment of the British Army. Currently, it’s the base for the Black Watch, an infantry battalion of the Royal Regiment of Scotland. Much of the site is now also a historic visitor attraction.
Near Ardersier, Inverness, IV2 7TD